Chicken, Mushroom And Biltong Potjie
- 30 ml vegetable oil
- 2 onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 green peppers, de-seeded and chopped
- 2 large cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 8 pieces of free-range chicken
- 100 g biltong dust
- 5 ml fresh thyme
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced into 1cm cubes
- 500 g baby potatoes, skin on
- 8 baby carrots
- 500 ml chicken, beef or lamb stock
- 500 g assorted mushrooms
- 250 g baby marrow, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons mushroom soup powder or cornflour (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a cast iron three-legged potjie. Add onions, green peppers and garlic and cook until soft.
- Add chicken pieces skin side down and brown the meat.
- Sprinkle the biltong dust and thyme over the chicken and stir to combine.
- Add the diced potatoes, baby potatoes, carrots and stock to the potjie and simmer for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and baby marrows and cook for 10 minutes.
- To thicken the sauce, mix the mushroom soup or cornflour with a quarter cup of hot water and stir into the pot. Allow to cook for another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Serve with rice or chunky slices of fresh white bread to mop up the sauce.
Bacon, Mushroom And Thyme Sauce With Pap
- 15 ml oil
- 1 onion peeled and finely chopped
- 250 g mushrooms
- 250 g back bacon, chopped
- 400 g can peeled and chopped tomatoes
- 10 ml fresh thyme
- 1 liter water
- 5 ml salt
- 2 cups maize meal
- Heat the oil in a cast-iron pot and gently fry the onions until soft and brown.
- Add the mushrooms and bacon and cook, stirring continuously.
- Add the tomatoes and thyme and cook the sauce for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Season well with salt and black pepper.
- Serve with stiff pap or krummelpap